Fashion faux Pas

This August, Jo Burke, the NIU Art Museum Director (who is also an enviable owner of a pair of fantastic black knee-high boots with kitten heels), and I were discussing some of her ideas about Fashion and her desire to introduce an online forum for participants and viewers to share their Fashion Faux Pas. We wanted to focus on the incidences that brought about questions of "What is the right thing to wear?" and "When to wear it?" What happens when things go awry? How does one feel and react? What stories of fashion foibles are ingrained in our memories?
And perhaps the biggest question of all--are fashion foibles significant enough to take up the mental and emotional space for a community dialogue?
Please include your comments and photographs about your very own Fashion Faux Pas.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fashion Memories do stay with you!

Once I had acquired the beautiful Jacques Cohen navy blue and white heeled espadriles with satin straps purchased at Nordstrom's while on co-op in Portland, Oregon to go with the navy and white embroidered San Antonio wedding dress I knew I would wear these at my senior exhibition. I knew this for years. Yet when the time for the exhibition reception finally came and I was still editing video and framing drawings and had no time to drive back out to the farm to change clothes before the opening there I was at my art reception wearing the same clothes I had been working and sleeping in for days. More maddening, was that the guy who was exhibiting with me in our 2-person show was all relaxed and regal in white gauze shirt and slacks while I looked like a crazy woman. I never forgave him. mea culpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment